The Whereabouts system is essential to protecting your sport. Simply put, Whereabouts is about openness and transparency, underlining the achievements of clean athletes.
Whereabouts is a system designed to support out-of-competition testing and it is a widely recognised tool that is a fundamental part of an anti-doping programme. Some athletes may be selected for the National Registered Testing Pool (NRTP). If you are nominated for inclusion in the NRTP, you will be notified by UKAD or your National Governing Body. You will be required to supply details of your Whereabouts so you can be located for testing at any time and anywhere, without advance notice.
Athletes on the National Registered Testing Pool (NRTP) use a computer system called ADAMS (Anti-Doping Administration & Management System). The information they must provide is listed below:
60-Minute Time Slot Every Day of the Year
This slot MUST be between the hours of 5:00am and 11:00pm and in a specified location where the testing can actually take place. This information MUST be up-to-date at all times as athletes that are not available for testing at their designated location during the 60-minutes may receive a missed test Whereabouts failure.
Athletes MUST remain in their specified location for the entire 60 minutes as the Doping Control Officer may arrive at any time.
If you need to adjust your 60-minute time slot and/or change your specified location, you should do so directly in ADAMS. You can do this online or via the ADAMS mobile phone app.
If there is an unplanned, last minute emergency change, you may text (if you have activated this function in your ADAMS profile) or email (email@example.com) up to one minute before the start of your specified time slot. Patterns of last-minute Whereabouts updates may be investigated.
If you have a number of regular residences where you stay overnight, you can add all of these addresses to your ADAMS profile. Therefore, should you need to make any necessary changes to your overnight residence, this will be easy to manage.
You must ensure that clear instructions are provided should your residence be hard to locate and/or enter. For example, if your house/flat is in a rural area or not particularly obvious to a visitor, further guidance may be needed in order for the Doping Control Officer to locate you. Should you have any access codes, such as buzzer codes, security numbers or side doors, these must be detailed in the ‘Additional Information’ section on ADAMS.
If you are staying in a hotel, you must ensure you have clearly specified your room number in the ‘Additional Information’ section on ADAMS and where possible that the hotel room is booked in your name so any Doping Control Officer can locate you easily.
Regular Activities (e.g. Training and Work)
All regular training information must be included in your Whereabouts submission, including locations and times.
Always include the competition title and location (venue). If you leave an event earlier than expected, please remember to update your Whereabouts (even if this is a day early). You must continue to provide a 60-minute time slot, even on competition days.
A travel entry is intended to be used if your extensive travel plans (for training, competition or personal commitments) don't allow you to provide either:
- a 60-minute time slot between 5:00 am and 11:00 pm or,
- an overnight accommodation
If you are not able to provide the above information, then you must input your travel details using the ‘Travel’ function in ADAMS.
Top Tips for Updating Your Whereabouts
- Programme a phone alarm to remind you to check that you will be where you need to be for your designated time slot
- Save the Whereabouts SMS number in your phone, make sure the service is activated in your ADAMS profile
- Ask close friends and family to remind you to update, especially in the off-season or if on holiday
- Ensure friends and family are aware of your obligations as an athlete in the NRTP
- Print a copy of your ADAMS calendar for those who may need to be aware, such as coaches
- Contact UKAD if you need help firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit Whereabouts information ahead of the submission deadline, as this gives your NGB and UKAD the opportunity provide support if it is required
- Keep on top of updating Whereabouts information, as a pattern of last-minute Whereabouts updates could damage the chances of receiving a reduced sanction after a Whereabouts violation
- Make sure up-to-date email and phone numbers are saved in your ADAMS profile so reminders can be sent to you regarding submitting Whereabouts.
To submit information on Whereabouts, make emergency updates or get access to help, please use the following contacts:
Whereabouts system: www.myadams.co.uk
Whereabouts SMS: +44 7781 480 710
Whereabouts email: email@example.com